Timeline

NOTE: If you notice any omissions or errors in this timeline, please contact me so they can be fixed. The dates are colour-coded for the following themes:

Municipal & political
Transport
Commerce & industry
Education
Social
Population
People
Housing
News events
Religious
Recreation


Pre - 1270 A.D.


7th C.
Middleton is thought to have been settled by this time.
1086
Rochdale recorded in the Domesday Book as Recedham.
1164
Heywood family recorded in local area.
1183
Records for Ashworth start around this time.
1197
Reference to Birtle in records.
12th C.
Hopwood family recorded at site of current Hopwood Hall.
1210
Reference to hamlets of Lumhalghs (Lomax) and Hep (Heap) in records.
1260

Land at Pilsworth granted to William de Radcliffe.
 1270-1600


1270s
1278
William del Bridge granted land near Bury.
1292
Reference to Hoppewode in records
13th C.
Bamford family living in Bamford area.
13th C.
Peter de Heywood builds Heywood Hall.
13th C.
Woollen mill recorded at Bamford
16th C.
Woollen mill recorded at Bridge Hall.
1514
St James' was established as a 'chapel of ease' at Ashworth by the Holt family. Worship at Ashworth is reputed to date back to Saxon times. The church was declared a parish chapel in 1650.
1552
Heywood Chapel referred to in a report.
1560
Corn and fulling mills recorded at Ashworth.
1577
Heywood depicted as ‘Hawood’ on Christopher Saxton’s new map of Britain.
1580
John Blackwall granted the right to mine coal in the Cheesden Valley.
1594

Roger Holt recorded as having a water mill and house at Bridge Hall.

1600-1800


1600s
Much of what used to be common land was being enclosed by this time.
1605
Peter Heywood participated in the arrest of Guy Fawkes.
1611
Heywood Hall rebuilt.
1636
Scholar and poet Richard James visited Heywood and recorded the events in his lengthy poemIter Lancastrense’.
1637
Makin Mill (corn processing mill) recorded at Back o’th’ Moss.
1640
The old Heywood Chapel was rebuilt by Robert Heywood, although it was not consecrated until 1862, following the English Civil Wars.
1640s
The estate of the Royalist Heywood family was  sequestered by Parliamentarians during the English Civil Wars. The Ashworth estate of the Holt family was also sequestered. These estates were recovered by the families after payment of a large fee. 
1650
Parliament assigned the tithes of Whittle, Heywood, Bamford and Lomax to Heywood Chapel.
1650s
Church survey shows 95 families or householders living near Heywood Chapel, including the areas of Bamford, Gristlehurst, Marland, Hopwood and Pilsworth.
17th-18th C.
Most of Hopwood Hall was rebuilt during this time. Edward Gregge took over Hopwood Hall in 1773 on the death of Lady Hopwood and assumed the name Hopwood by act of Parliament.
1716
George Warbuton recorded as manufacturing paper at Bridge Hall Mills, Heap Bridge. These mills were being operated by Thomas Compton c.1766-1810, and then the Wrigleys until 1924.
1717
Heywood family sell Heywood Hall and estate to John Starkey of Rochdale.
1718
Queen Ann Inn named on Heywood Hall Estate Map.
1730
Church Inn, Birtle, built as ‘Tap Laish’ by Robert and Elizabeth Diggle.
1761
First mill built at Crimble. Edward Kenyon was producing woollen goods i
c.1770
Chapel House, Ashworth, rebuilt as the Egerton Arms around this time.
1777
Wrigley Brook Mill becomes the first cotton mill in Heywood.
1780
Kershaw Bridge Mill becomes the first mill to open in the Cheesden Valley. 14 other mills were to follow.
1780
Makin Mill converted by Robert Peel into a cotton mill.
1780
Heywood had population of 2,000.
1786
1789
St James’ chapel at Ashworth rebuilt. It was enlarged in 1837.
1793
Heywood’s first Sunday School opened on Hind Street by Wesleyan Methodists from the Gooden Lane Society.
1797
‘Hare and Hounds’ built for Richard and Mary Ashworth. This pub served travellers on the Edenfield Road Turnpike (opened 1796) and later became known as ‘Owd Betts’.
c.1797

Bury New Road constructed under Turnpike Act 1797. The roads to Bury and Rochdale were turnpiked at this time.

1800-1820s

 
1800
Population of town is 4,238.
1801
Congregational Chapel opened at Bamford. It later became a United Reformed church. A Sunday School was added in 1861.
1805
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built.
c.1810
Coal pits opened around Hooley Clough around this time by Simon Dearden.
1811
Lord George Byron resided at Hopwood Hall. Byron was Lord of the Manor of Rochdale 1808-23. 
1814
New Jerusalem Church ('New-Church') established on Oak Street.
1814
Crimble Hall built by Joseph Fenton of Bamford Hall for his son John. In 1832 John became Rochdale's first MP.
1815
St Luke’s School opened in York Street.
1817
Ten cotton mills in the town.
1819
Pioneering war photographer Roger Fenton was born at Crimble Hall.
1820
Population of town is approx. 10,000.
1821
Sylvester Litton Ltd founded at Sandy Lane.
1824
Power looms made by William Smith & Bros.
1824
Birtle Dene Mill built for Thomas Ramsbottom.
1824
Congregational Church, Rochdale Road East, founded. This building was demolished in 2005.
1826
Fustian mills built at Hooley Bridge for Joseph Fenton. He also established the Hooley Bridge village with 160 cottages around the mill.
1826
John Diggle hanged at Lancaster for the murders of Benjamin and Alice Cass, Birtle.
1826
The 'Act for lighting with gas the village of Heywod, within the parish of Bury... 7, George IV' came into law. A Gas Works was built at Hooley Bridge during the following year.
1827
St Mary’s Church built at Birch. St Mary’s National School opened in 1836. The church was demolished in 1964.
1828
Primitive Methodist Society established.
1828
New Jerusalem Church built off Church Street by Swedenborgians. It was enlarged in 1838 and replaced in 1914 with a building on Hornby Street.
1829

Crimble Mill rebuilt. It was converted to steam power in 1850 and the main section was added in 1886.

1830s


1830s
John Grundy, owner of the Bridge Hall estate, ran the Bridge Hall Woollen Mills.
1830
Belgrave Shuttle Works opened at Broadfield. The works were transferred to Springfield Street. in the 1920s. the company relocated to Preston in 1997.
1832
Heywood, after the Reform Act 1832, was represented as part of the South Lancashire constituency.
1833
27 cotton mills in the town.
1834
Rochdale Canal (opened in 1802) was extended from Bluepits (Castleton) to Gooden Lane (Hopwood), providing a new means of transporting cotton, coal lime, iron and timber. The Sun Iron Works opened along the canal in 1834, and ten other mills opened there soon after. A wagon road linked Nancy Coal Pit, Hopwood, with the canal wharf. A warehouse was built at the head of the canal in 1871, but the Heywood branch became disused in 1937 and was officially closed in in 1952.
1835
Petty Sessions held at the Queen Anne Inn.
1835
Workers (including many pauper children) started to be brought up from southern England to work in the mills, under the Poor Law 1834. About 300 such people were settled in Bury and Heywood during 1835-37. This system continued until 1885.
1835
Primitive Methodist Chapel opened, Bury New Road. This closed in 1998.
1836
Heywood Baptist Church completed, Rochdale Road. It was replaced in 1979.
1836
Wesleyan Methodist chapel opened at Kenyon Fold. The church has since been demolished.
1837
Heywood Gasworks was constructed.
1837
St James Church and Tower Street School built. The church was consecrated in the following year. The church closed in 2014.
1839
Railway station opened at Bluepits, Castleton, on the Manchester and Leeds Railway.
1839

Earthquake tremors felt around south Lancashire, including Heywood area. 

1840s


1840
The chapelry (a subdivision of a parish) of Heywood was constituted. 
1840
Heywood Coal Company owned two collieries, including one at Captain Fold. 
1840
Population of town is 14,856.
1840
Mechanics Institute formed.
1841
34 cotton mills in the town.
1841
St James’ Church built at Heady Hill.
1841
Heywood railway station opened on a branch line from Bluepits for the Manchester and Leeds Railway. Until 1847 the trains on this branch were still horse-drawn.
1842
Writer Samuel Bamford visited Heywood, describing it as a ‘large and modern village’.
1842
'Plug Drawing Riot' mob rushed through Heywood. This was part of a general strike that occurred when the Second Chartist petition was rejected by parliament. Strikers removed plugs from factory boilers to stop them working. Several mills were stopped and shops broken open.
1843
Healey Brothers Ltd established.
1844
Heywood’s first newspaper (the Heywood Observer) was printed and published by John Manock.
1844
Methodist New Connexion church opened, Miller Street. this building closed before 1895.
1847
Ten Hours Act passed, limiting the hours worked by children aged under 18.
1847
Heywood Mutual Burial & Assurance Collecting Society established.
1848

Railway line opened to/from Bury. It was closed for passenger services in 1970.

1850s


1850s
Following the Irish Potato Famine, the number of Irish immigrants in Heywood during the 1850s grew from 159 to 1,167 (6.7% of total population).
1850
United Methodist Free Church, Bethel Street, opened in 1850, replacing their earlier Queen Street building (1835). The congregation joined with Market Street. Wesleyan Methodists in 1940.
1850
The Mechanics' Institution building was built on Longford Street. This place was later used by the Reform Club (1871-82) and then became the Municipal Buildings.
1851
Until this time, Paved Brow (the section of Bury Street from Bridge Inn to Wham Bar) was the only paved road in town. All other roads were dirt tracks.
1851
Gas street lighting introduced.
1852
Captain Fold Pit, Chadwick Lane, closed after two miners drowned in flooding there.
1852
Seven miners drowned in accident at Birtle Pit, Elbut Lane.
1852
John Clegg’s ‘Star Works’ opened at Wham Bar. Hargreaves and Clegg took over the mill in 1902.
1853
Market place erected. 
1854
St Joseph’s R.C. Church, Dawson Street, built. It was replaced by the Mary Street building in 1915.
1854
Consecration of St John the Baptist Church, Birtle.
1855
First printing of the Heywood Advertiser.
1856
Roman coins circa A.D.268 found in small urn near Plumpton House.
1856
1856
Public baths opened on Peel Street.
1856
Britain Hill Unitarian Church founded.
1857
First recorded reference to the nickname ‘Monkey Town’ is made by writer Edwin Waugh.
1857
Bury Union Workhouse opened at Jericho, replacing former parish workhouse on Bury Old Road near Wham. This new workhouse was replaced by Fairfield Hospital in 1948.
1859
Old St Luke’s Chapel demolished.
1859

St Luke’s Parish School completed.

1860s


1860
Population is 17,442.
1860s
Town badly affected by the Cotton Famine when raw cotton supplies stopped because of a naval blockade of Confederate ports during the U.S. Civil War. Mills either closed or worked on short time.
1861
A new Wesleyan Methodist chapel is built on Market Street, replacing their 1805 structure.
1862
Christadelphian Church on Starkey Street by this time.
1863
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway co. opened wagon building works on Green Lane. This later became the Standard Railway Wagon Co., which closed in 1992.
1863
St Luke's Church, the church of Heywood chapelry, was built at a cost of upwards of £10,000 in the decorated English style. It comprised a nave of 80 feet by 24, with aisles, and a chancel of 42 feet by 22. A private mortuary chapel was erected at great cost additional to that of the church. It is ornamented with coloured marbles and alabaster, and has a detached tower with a spire 185 feet high.
1864
The town was in Heap township or Civil Parish. The first local government in the area was formed in 1864, when part of the township of Heap adopted the Local Government Act 1858. Heap Middle Division Local Board was formed to govern standards of hygiene and sanitation for the Heywood part of Heap township.
1864
Baptists build ‘Jireh Chapel’ on Queen/Starkey Street. This building became the Christadelphian Church in 1932, after being used by the Labour Party for a short time.
1866
Bethel Street United Methodist Free Church, Heap Bridge, was consecrated.
1867
Heywood extended to 1 mile radius around St Luke’s. The area of the local board was enlarged by the addition of parts of the townships of Birtle with Bamford, Castleton, Heap Hopwood, and Pilsworth. At the same time it was renamed as Heywood Local Board.
1867
Gas Works purchased by Local Board.
1867
St Joseph’s School opened. 
1868
Heywood became part of the South East Lancashire parliamentary constituency.
1868
Annual Rush Bearing festival ceased due to ‘rowdy behaviour’.
1869
York Street Congregational Church consecrated. It replaced an earlier York Street building (1836). Congregationalists had held services in Heywood as early as 1821. This building was closed in 1968 when the congregation moved to the church on Rochdale Road East. It was demolished in ????.
1869


1870s


1870
Hopwood was described as a township in John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales as a Middleton parish, including the villages of Birch and Gooden. “Many cotton mills, and an extensive iron foundry are at Gooden; and a national school is at Birch.”
1870
Bamford was described as a village in the township of Birtle-cum Bamford, parish of Middleton. “It has a post office under Rochdale, and an Independent chapel; and its inhabitants are employed chiefly in cotton factories. Bamford Hall, the fine old seat of J. Fenton, Esq., is adjacent.”
1870
Birtle was described as a township in the district of Bury, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Birtle-cum-Bamford; is in Middleton parish. The population of 2,350 was “employed chiefly in cotton and woollen manufactures, and in calico printing.”
1870
Heap was described as a township and parochial chapelry in Bury. The township included the town of Heywood. The population exclusive of Heywood in 1861 was 4,529.
1870
Pilsworth was described as a township in Middleton parish, of 1,478 acres and a population of 343. The property belonged to the Earl of Eglinton.
1870
Castleton was described as a township in Rochdale and included the hamlets of Buersill, Lowerplace, Newbold, Marland, Lower-Lane, Broad-Lane, Backlanes, Roeacre, Captainfold, Castleton-Moor, and Bluepits. “There are traces of a castle, supposed to have been built before the Conquest.”
1870
Post Office opened in York Street.
1871
A major fire at the canal wharf burned for over one month.
1872
Bridge Street Primitive Methodist chapel founded. They opened another church on Miller Street in 1900.
1872
All Soul’s Primary School opened.
1874
First Free Public Library established in rented premises in Market Place.
1874
Trinity Methodist Chapel founded.
1875
Toll bars, where vehicles were charged to pass, removed from Heywood roads.
1878
Birtle School built to serve the St John the Baptist church, Birtle. The school closed in 1954.
1878
Heywood Cricket Club formed.
1879
Parts of Hopwood and Pilsworth townships were added to the area of the Local Board.
1879

Queens Park opened. It was paid for from the estate of Heywood man Charles Martin Newhouse, who died in a railway accident in 1873 but had not made a will. His estate was handed to the Duchy of Lancaster, and the local board agreed to create a public park, named in honour of Queen Victoria.

1880s


1880

The Heap Bridge Branch (freight only) of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co. was in operation by this time. This line serviced the various mills in the local area.
1880
Population of town is 22,979.
1881
In 1880 the inhabitant householders of the Heywood area petitioned the privy council for the grant of a charter of incorporation under the Muncipal Corporations Act. The request was successful and a charter was granted on 18 February 1881, constituting Heywood a municipal borough. A borough council consisting of a mayor, aldermen and councillors replaced the local board.
1881
First Municipal Elections held. Thomas Isherwood was elected first mayor of Heywood.
1881
St John’s Church, Hopwood, opened. The original church was made of iron. This was replaced by the current building in 1905.
1881
Manchester, Bury, Rochdale & Oldham Steam Tramways Co.’ ran service to Heap Bridge. Steam tram links between Rochdale and Bury were maintained until 1905, when the system was electrified.
1882
Separate Commission of the Peace granted to the Borough.
1882
Andrew Duxbury bought the Heap Bridge Paper Co., for Yates Duxbury & Son Ltd. They erected a new mill around 1905.
1882
Salvation Army established.
1883
Royal assent given to Heywood Corporation Act.
1883
Heywood’s St John’s Ambulance Brigade formed.
1884
The 'Manchester, Bury, Rochdale & Oldham Steam Tramways Co.' runs narrow gauge trams to Heywood.
1884
Mutual Mill No.1 built. By 1914 the Mutual Spinning Company was the largest firm in the district, and by 1924 there were four mills at the site.
1884
Nine miners die in flooding at Birtle Coal Pit, which was afterwards sealed and closed.
1884
Heywood Corporation opened the Municipal Buildings in the old Mechanics Institute. This building was demolished in the 1980s.
1885
Parliamentary constituency of Heywood formed. The first MP was Isaac Hoyle of the Liberal Party.
1885
St Michael's Church opened on the Bury and Rochdale Old Road. The church had originally been based at Gnat Bank in the 1850s, and their school opened in 1875.
1886
Heywood Mission opened on Fox Street. Thought to be originally part of the Salvation Army, it later followed the Wesleyan Methodist doctrine. It was damaged by fire in 1994 and later demolished.
1889

Heywood FC and Heywood Central FC among founding members of the Lancashire League.

1890s


1891
Yew Mill erected. With 112,000 spindles, this was the world’s largest spinning mill under one roof.
1891
Population of town is 23,185.
1891
Public Swimming Baths, Fox Street, presented to the town by Mr A Grundy.
1892
Heywood Cricket Club, based at Pot Hall, are founding members of the Central Lancashire League.
1892
Spiritual Temple opened on the corner of William Street and Heywood Hall Road.
1893
Anthony Palmer, recipient of Victoria Cross in the Crimean War, buried in Heywood Cemetery.
1894
Municipal Technical School opened on Hind Hill Street.
1894
Cemetery transferred to Corporation.
1894
Local Government Act - boundaries of Heywood extended and Heap township was dissolved.
1896
Towel manufacturer William R Lees Ltd bought Hooley Bridge Mill. Several local streets were rebuilt at this time.
1896
JW and R Healey & Co. established at Wham. The firm moved to the Broadfield Mill on Pilsworth Road in 1932.
1897
Botany Sewage Purification Works opened near Gristlehurst Woods.
1897
Ashworth Colliery, off Ashworth Road, closed because of flooding. The Water Board sank a borehole on the site in the 1950s.
1898
The Phoenix Brewery opened on Green Lane.
1898
Heywood and Middleton Water Board formed. This merged with other boards to become the West Pennine Water Board in 1967 and then the North West Water Authority in 1973.
1899

Rhodes Brothers established.

1900s


1900
Part of Castleton Urban District was added to the Borough.
1900
1900
Heywood FC win the Lancashire Junior Cup.
c.1900
JC Kay & Co. open Phoenix Foundry at Heap Bridge.
1901
Electricity works opened.
1901
Population of town is 25,548.
1902
Working hours limited to 55½ hours per week.
1903
Refuse Destructor Works opened at Bottom o’th’ Brow.
1904
Heywood Cricket Club win the Central Lancashire League for the first time. There are further wins in 1929, 1931, 1945, 1960, 1963, 1967, 1968, 1974, 1976, 1984, 2006 and 2008.
1905
Construction of new Carnegie-funded Library completed.
1905
Last steam trams run and first electric tram passes through Heywood.
1905
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Market Street, built.
1906
Official opening of the new Library in Church Street. This was one of 650 Carnegie Libraries built in Britain with money donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (the Heywood library cost £,6,000).
1906
Plum Mill opened at Broadfield.
1906
The first Council School erected on Bamford Road.
1907
1907
35 cotton mills in the town
1907
There are seven blacksmith shops in Heywood, showing that horse-drawn transport is still predominant.
1908
Electric trams run along Bury and Rochdale Old Road.
1908
Ashworth Reservoir opened after ten years of construction work.
1908
Magdala Street Council School opened.
1909
‘Park roller skating rink’ opened on Starkey Street, in the ‘Park Picture Palace’ which had formerly been a live theatre. The building was demolished in the 1930s.
1909

Regent Street Council School opened.

1910s


1910
Bullough Moor Recreation Grounds opened, covering 8¾ acres.
1911
Restoration of St Luke’s church bells, as a memorial to King George VII, completed.
1911
Walter Martyn hanged at Strangeways for the murder of Edith Griffiths in Plumpton Wood.
1911
Hopwood Recreation Ground opened, covering 5¾ acres.
1911
Population of town is 26,697.
1912
The Heywood Technical School building was extended and reopened as the Heywood Day Secondary School. In 1924 the name was changed to Heywood Grammar School.
1912
1912
Art Gallery and Museum opened. 
1913
Scott House, Memorial Home for Crippled Children opened at Norden.
1913
King George V and Queen Mary visited Heywood on 12th July.
1914
Heywood United FC win the Lancashire Junior Cup.
1914
Central Council School opened.
1915
Heywood reached its all-time peak of cotton production during this year to become the 15th largest centre of cotton spinning in Britain.
1915
Heywood MP Harold Cawley killed at Gallipoli in World War 1. At least 50 Heywood men were killed at this place.
1918
Parliamentary constituency of Heywood & Radcliffe formed.
1919
27 cotton mills were closed in Heywood during 1919-39.
1919

Robert Barker Ltd established, operating from Wilton Works, James Street, from 1924. The business closed in 1991. 

1920s


1920
Heywood Cricket Club moves from Pot Hall to current ground at Crimble.
1921
Population of town is 26,693.
1920s
Harold Pyott, ‘world’s smallest man’, living in Heywood
1920s
‘Heywood Athletic Club’ formed. The club wound down in 1950.
1922
Queens Park Boating Lake opened.
1923
Fire Station built on land at 12 York Street (site of current market), purchased at a cost of £900. the station closed there in 1966.
1923
Approx. 22½ acres of land added to Queens Park – the gift of Alderman D Healey.
1923
The Hopwood family vacated Hopwood Hall. It was purchased by the De La Salle brothers in 1946 and then sold to Rochdale Council in the 1990s. 
1925
Unveiling of the War Memorial.
1926
New Market Hall opened on Hind Hill Street, replacing the old markets on the site of the present Memorial Gardens.
1926
Garden of Remembrance opened.
1926
St Joseph’s R C Infant School opened.
1928

Transparent Paper Ltd. established in former Heap Bridge paper mills. This business continued until 1980.
1929
Heywood Cricket Club win the Wood Cup for the first time. There are further wins in 1945, 1970, 1971, 1984, 1993, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
1929

New York Mill closed.

1930s


1930
‘Heywood Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society’ formed.
1931
Borough of Heywood 50th Jubilee.
1931
Population of town is 25, 968.
1931
Heywood man Tim ‘Percy’ Hunt wins both junior and senior titles at the TT races on the Isle of Man.
1933
Boundaries extended again when part of the Borough was added to Bury Borough and parts of Norden Urban District and of Birtle with Bamford and Unsworth Civil Parishes were added to Heywood, making a total of 8,341 acres.
1933
Queens Park Road & Bridge opened by the Earl of Derby. Prior to the bridge being constructed, the southern section of this road was known as William Street. This work was paid for by businessman David Healey. 
1933
‘Heywood Rotary Club’ formed.
1934
Trams replaced by motor omnibuses in Heywood.
1934
Fireman Paddy Kelly killed in fire at Yates Duxbury Paper Works.
1934
Public Health Offices and Clinic opened.
1935
Tram lines removed from the streets of Heywood.
1936
Mace presented to the Borough to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI.
1936
Heywood Police Station and courts opened on Hind Hill Street.
1937
Heywood corporation replaced its horse and carts with motor vehicles.
1937
Back o’th’ Moss estate built.
1938
Establishment of RAF Maintenance Unit on Pilsworth Road.
1938
Heywood-born Peter Kane won the World Flyweight Championship.
1939
Population of town is 25,063.
1939

Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses established in Heywood, in a hut on Cartridge Street.  In the 1970s they acquired the former municipal baths on Fox/Taylor Street and turned into a Kingdom Hall.

1940s-50s


1940
Heywood Home Guard formed.
1940
German bomb landed on a house in Hopwood, killing a young girl.
1941
The noted astrophotographer David Malin born in Heywood. He grew up in the Ashworth Valley area.
1944
1945
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth visited Heywood.
1949
Heywood section of the Rochdale Canal closed.
1949
Annual ‘medical charities’ fetes’ ended in 1949 after introduction of the NHS, although Heywood Charities’ Fete still continues.
1949
Heywood Townswomen’s Guild formed.
1950
Parliamentary constituency of Heywood & Royton formed.
1951
Bamford Hall demolished.
1951
Last coal mining at Bamford Close.
1951
Population of town is 25,201.
1953
Open-air theatre opened in Queen's Park. It was paid for with 'Festival of Britain' money and replaced the bandstand that had been taken down during the previous year.
1956
Heywood Flying Club (Pigeon Racing) founded.
1956
Heywood Hall demolished
1957
Picturedrome Cinema, Market Street, closed.
1958
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Secondary School opened.
1959
Plum Mill and Unity Mill ceased production as a result of reorganisation of the cotton industry. Leesona took over Unity Mill the following year, and Plum Mill was demolished in 1978.

1960s


1961
Sarah J Bentley elected as first woman mayor.
1961
Population of town is 24,090.
1962
First families move into houses on Darnhill Overspill Estate.
1962
New Telephone Exchange built.
1963
Approval given for flats to be built on Darnhill Estate.
1963
Day club for retired people opened (Sandon House).
1963
1964
Heady Hill School closed.
1964
St Margaret’s C.E. Church and School opened.
1965
Sutherland County Secondary School opened.
1965
Heywood and Middleton Water Board open Greenbooth Reservoir, on the site of former Green Booth village.
1966
New Civic Hall opened in the town centre.
1966
Heywood woman Julie Goodyear lands the role of Bet Lynch in Coronation Street. She was awarded the MBE in 1996.
1967
Air Ministry Maintenance Unit No 35 closed.
1967
New Fire Station opened.
1967
Darnhill Branch Library opened.
1967
Heywood twinned with Peine in Germany. The Friends of Peine Association was formed in 1977.
1968

Heywood Grammar School closed. The Hind Hill Street building was used for the new Heywood Junior High School, which had a new Senior High School at Siddal Moor, Newhouse Road. This school was renamed ‘Siddal Moor’ in the mid-1970s, and the Hind Hill Street building closed in 1981.

1970s


1970
Passenger railway services from Heywood withdrawn.
1970
New Post Office opened on Hind Hill Street.
1970
Jack Talbot Sports Centre opened, West Starkey Street.
1970
Heywood Distribution Park officially opened at Pilsworth.
1971
Healey Bros. became British Twine & Rope Co.
1971
Heywood linked with new section of M62.
1971
Population of town is 30,443.
1972
Victoria Hotel demolished.
1972
Heywood Lions formed.
1973
Leonard Nuttall became the last mayor of Heywood.
1974
Under the Local Government Reorganisation Act, Heywood became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale, and also left Lancashire to become part of Greater Manchester.
1974
Heywood woman Christine Gaskell won gold medal for swimming at the Commonwealth Games.
1975
Fox Street Baths closed down, and the new Gaskell Pool opened on West Starkey Street.
1975
‘Heywood Rugby League Club’ formed.
1975
Ames Crosta Babcock started production. The factory was officially opened in 1978.
1976
New Fire Station opened. 
1976
1976
Heywood man Bill Lennard became 'News of the World' darts champion.
1977
Baptist Church demolished. 
1978
Adult Training Centre opened.
1978
Leesona Ltd, Unity Mill, closed.
1978
Gem Cinema, Market Street, was demolished.
1979
Heywood Job Centre opened.
1979

New Baptist Church completed, Rochdale Road.

1980s-2000


1981
Final phase of the St Luke’s new school, Queens Park Road, (commenced 1970) completed.
1980
Heywood-born Lisa Stansfield wins “Search for Star” talent contest. She went on to have an international No.1 hit with ‘All Around the World’ in 1989.
1981
Citizens Advice Bureau opened to the public.
1981
Population of town is 29,686.
1982
Wharf Mill (formerly Stanley Mill) demolished.
1983
Parliamentary constituency of Heywood & Middleton formed.
1983
Morrisons Supermarket opens on Dawson Street.
1983
Roach Mill demolished.
1988
Back o’ th’ Moss Community Centre opened.
1989
1990
‘Heywood Memories Society’ formed.
1990
Sutherland High School is renamed Heywood Community School. This school closed in 2010.
1991
Population of town is 29,286.
1991
Heywood Markets move from Hind Hill Street to York/Hartley Street.
1996
Heywood’s first woman priest ordained. 
1997
Roeacre Mill demolished.
1998
Times Retail Park opened.
1999
Guinness Trust takes over the running of Darnhill.
2001
Population of town is 28,024.
2003
Extension of East Lancashire Railway sees stream trains return to Heywood.

4 comments:

  1. Correction to your entry -1828 New Jerusalem Church built off Church Street by Swedenborgians. It was enlarged in 1838 and replaced in 1914 with a building on Hornby Street.

    The New Jerusalem Church (The Swedenborgian Church) was still in use on Church St until the 1970's, the building on Hornby St was the Sunday School built about 1850. Part of the school was burned down in 1914 and rebuilt in Accrington Brick. The old and new sections of the building are still standing. The day school was closed about 1914 when the new council school (now Harwood Park School) was built but the New Jerusalem Sunday School continued until the 1980's at that time it was locally known as the New Church Sunday School but formally known in the 1800's as Wham School or Hornby St School. (Logbooks for the old school at Lancashire record Office).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that, kind stranger, I'll fix it up soon. That's just the kind of input we need for this timeline. :)

      Delete
  2. A great page, thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON A HOUSEFIRE 0R A KNOWN FIRE ON OR AROUND HIGH STREET, WHERE A LITTLE BOY OF MAYBE 4/5 LOST HIS LIFE, COULD OF BEEN BEFORE FLATS BUILT OR EVEN AS FAR BACK AS 1920s

    ReplyDelete